Free Consultation to Review Your Legal Options
Have You Been Charged with a Violent Crime? Work with Our Experienced Defense Attorney to Avoid Heavy Sentencing.

The Crime of Failure to Register as a Sex Offender

The laws having to do with registration requirements keep changing every couple of years, and the local sheriff’s offices seem to go out of their way to make things difficult and complicated, and they are not very forgiving of mix-ups or even small errors having to do with registration. At our law firm, we understand the difficulties that people face, and we will help you try to reach a resolution that allows you to move forward with life. The types of cases we have assisted with in the past include the following:

  • Failure to notify the sheriff of a change of address.
  • Failure to notify the sheriff within 3 days of release from custody.
  • Failure to provide notice within 14 days of moving.
  • Failure to register with out-of-state and federal conviction.

We have won such cases in front of juries, at bench trials, and on appeal at Division III of the Washington Court of Appeals. Our firm has defended failure to register cases for almost 20 years. Failure to Register is either a Class C or a Class B felony depending on whether a person has prior convictions for Failure to Register. A Class C felony is punishable by up to 5 years in jail and a $10,000 fine. A Class B felony is punishable by up to 10 years in jail and a $20,000 fine. An individual convicted is not eligible for most sentencing alternatives such as DOSA (Drug Offender Sentencing Alternative). In some instances it is possible to get an exceptional sentence downward, or less than the standard range, but that depends largely on the facts of your case.

If you or a loved one is facing a charge of Failure to Register, feel free to call our office for a free consultation. We work in Spokane and in the surrounding communities of eastern Washington. If we are not available when you call, we are usually available to call you back in about an hour. We can also assist in petitions to have the registration requirement dropped. Call our office for more information on that procedure.